Wine download page usability problem

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 15:19:21 CST 2009

2009/2/21 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
> Can we add in a line at the top saying
> "Stable version 1.0.1 of Wine can usually be installed
>  just like any other Linux application using your
>  package manager (e.g. in Ubuntu, do Applications / Add/Remove,
>  select Wine, and click Apply Changes).

I know some versions of Ubuntu ship with 1.0.1 in official
repositories, but I don't know of any other distros that do.

Regarding the browser-detection, server-side scripting is the best
way. I'm always against needlessly adding Javascript to pages. What
I'd like to see is some option to view the full list of
distros/sources even when the detection worked. Something like:

"To see download pages for more distributions, click here"

It can be useful to be able to see one system's instructions from
another, especially when doing user support.