faultrep:display useful information in ReportFault

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Sun Feb 22 14:56:53 CST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 1:34 PM, Jérôme Gardou <jerome.gardou at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm not sure
> that we want to reproduce windows XP behaviour here (understand "Your
> application encountered an unexpected error. What do you want to do :
> send report/do not send) which annoys most people, and is not that useful.
> Most wine users, when their app crashes, open a bug report and attach
> the console log. If the log contains information got from ReportFault,
> developers will gain some time, and have the preceding context of the call.
>
> Just my 2 cents :-)

I know quite a few people (my converts) that run applications (mostly games)
where they launch the application from an icon and there is no console.
They've complained to me every once in a while that they would much prefer a
dialog informed them when their application crashes.  Personally, I think
that fatal errors (including things like "a DLL could not be found") should
launch a dialog if a terminal is not available (if "TERM" is not set).

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu