Malware on Wine review

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 18:49:13 CST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 4:28:27 pm Zachary Goldberg wrote:
> I interpret bug-for-bug compatibility to be more than just emulating
> the API bugs so apps run.  Its about emulating the experience for
> users to be as close to expectations (set by Windows) as possible.

Can't say I agree with that. If a user wants the Windows experience, they
should get Windows. Wine enables Windows apps to run on Linux and other Unix
systems, not making Linux/Unix systems behave like Windows (IMO, it should
make the Windows apps behave like Linux ones whenever possible).

> Preventing them from double-clicking EXEs in the file manager without
> finding some arbitrary configuration option doesn't seem to be inline
> with this.

What about having to mark the exe as +x before Wine will load it? That's
easilly doable frame any sane filemanager and provides a good level of
safety.. and Wine already does a good job of making sure installed programs
get +x.