Malware on Wine review

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 20:19:32 CST 2009

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 6:01:53 pm Marcel Partap wrote:
> Actually, nowadays there are most sophisticated technical solutions
> which mount on a single click. No warning, no options.

There are options. Whether or not said options are pre-configured sanely is
another question; but that's up to the distributor. And it wouldn't be the
first time distributions have made questionable decisions that have given
grief to Wine.

>  > (or the CD was made wrong).
>
> uuhhm f.e. ISO9660 right?

I have an ISO9660 disc, and the files on it show +x...

> while i agree logically EXE files _should_ be flagged x aswell in
> practice requiring the flag ties wine's functionability to close to
> the randomness that is the user's choice of distrobution and its
> default mount options. Starting to require +x from the next release on
> is sure to break a lot of those systems.

What would it break? A properly mounted CD should have +x on the exe's if
you're trying to run them, and a downloaded installer can be given +x simple
enough. And as mentioned before, Wine does a very good job of making sure
installed programs get +x.