appdb issue: can't search for apps platinum on 1.0.x!

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Wed Feb 25 20:30:06 CST 2009

Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/2/26 Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com>:
>> Our currently released version is 1.0, but the appdb's
>> browse feature acts as if that version no longer exists.
>> This will seriously confuse newcomers who are using
>> the 1.0.1 version (e.g. anybody who installs a fresh
>> copy of Ubuntu!).
>>
>> To fix this, we should add 1.0 (or 1.0.1) back into the search box in
>> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application
>
> Someone mentioned on another thread (or possibly on IRC, I don't
> recall) that 1.0-series is too old to be of concern to us. We don't
> want test data for 1.0.x; we don't want bug reports for 1.0.x unless
> they're still apparent in the development version. Development has
> stopped on 1.0.x.
>
> The problem is that 1.0.1 is not actually "stable" in that it doesn't
> crash/runs lots of apps. It's "stable" in that the code doesn't
> change, kind of like Debian Stable. If a massive security issue (like
> a rootkit) becomes apparent in 1.0.1, I'm pretty sure we want to know
> about that, but in general, if it can be fixed by upgrading to 1.1.x,
> then that's what you should do.
>
> There have been plenty of cases in #winehq where users have some
> problem with 1.0.1 (Warcraft 3 appears to be a popular candidate).
> When they upgrade to 1.1.15, suddenly it starts working. Are there
> even any winehq-supplied binary packages for any distro that supply
> 1.0.1 by default? Scott's Ubuntu packages are the dev versions, though
> 1.0.1 is accessible through his archives; my Debian packages only go
> back to about 1.1.12 or so.

What this means, quite simply, is that we need more frequent releases of
a stable Wine version.

I know Alexandre wants to cram in a major feature before starting the
stabilization process, but unless that happens really soon we're only
going to see issues like this get even worse.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie