appdb issue: can't search for apps platinum on 1.0.x!

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Feb 27 19:43:47 CST 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Remco <remco47 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:06 PM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
>> In fact, it's common practice for repos like rpmfusion.org to
>> have a tiny package that just adds themselves to your software
>> sources.  (See http://rpmfusion.org/Configuration )
>> Scripts are right out, though.  It has to be a package,
>> because you can't run a script with a single mouse click.
>
> The WineHQ-provided .deb and .rpm packages themselves could add the
> WineHQ repo as part of their installation routine. There is no need
> for a tiny separate package.

That's an attractive scenario, but I have run into violent objections
from admins when I discuss it.
They want the two operations separated out
into separate packages; it's simply too surprising to have
a simple package that installs an app *also* add a new repository.

Now, maybe Wine's a special case, and admins won't complain
about it.  But I wouldn't bet money on that.
- Dan