appdb issue: can't search for apps platinum on 1.0.x!

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 20:07:42 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Ben Klein <shacklein at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think that properly educating new users is more valuable than
>> telling them "click on this magic link that does it for you".
>
> That only works for most users if the things you're trying to teach
> them are extremely simple and usable.  Having to type anything
> beyond a single simple URL - and possibly a simple package name -
> is a serious roadblock.

It's also a question of usefulness. What does a user gain from
learning how to add a repository manually? That's part of the
installation procedure. Doing it manually serves no purpose. The rest
of the installation is also a magic link to a package that puts all
kinds of files on your system and runs configuration scripts.

Remco