Cebit again

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 12:54:26 CST 2009

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Dan Kegel <dank at kegel.com> wrote:
> I updated the slides at http://kegel.com/cebit one more
> time.  The talk is this coming Thursday, so I'll probably
> fiddle with it a bit more.
> I did give a second practice run in front of a
> live audience, including some windows sysadmins,
> and they said it made Wine less scary.  Which
> is, I guess, my goal...

Speaking of SysAdmins, at ISP I am contracting for, my fellow admins
that run Linux end up having to rdesktop quite a bit because Wine is
unable to run Microsoft Office 2005 or 2007 communicator for the
corporate discussions. There are some Windows admins that also would
run Linux if not for that. I have found this is a common problem now
at two seperate companies, at the last place I contracted at, there
was a 50/50 mix of Ubuntu/Windows for developers and admins, but they
are enforcing Office Communicator as the standard and so it looks like
the Linux guys are going to have to dual boot or start using rdesktop
more, which adds cost in Client Access licenses.

I don't really have the time right now with my current projects
however if you want to sell some of these guys on a Linux desktop and
they have Exchange/Outlook infrastructure, this is a show-stopper, at
least for us.

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards