AppDB: Rating / Patching

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 21:18:25 CST 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Jeff Zaroyko <jeffzaroyko at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/1/6 Björn Krombholz <fox.box at gmail.com>:
> Gold means [...] you've modified Wine to make it work, ie
> there is a work around that makes the application work flawlessly.
> There's no reason to exclude modifying Wine, you are empowered to
> change it as you see fit since it's free software.

This point is where the disagreement lies.  Let me be very specific.
The argument here is not that patches should disqualify Gold ratings.
It is that patches change the version of wine that you are running.
Specifically, the people giving "Fallout 3 on wine 1.1.12" a Gold
rating are not actually running wine 1.1.12, they are running wine
[snapshot/git]+patch.  "Fallout 3 on wine [snapshot/git]+patch"
deserves a Gold rating.  "Fallout 3 on wine 1.1.12" deserves a Garbage
rating, because it Does Not Work no matter what you change within the
confines of wine 1.1.12.