mpr: fix a compiler error on PowerPC

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Jan 9 12:51:23 CST 2009

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:
>
> > On Fri, 2 Jan 2009, Austin English wrote:
> >
> >> CHAR defaults to unsigned char on PowerPC, so explicitly setting hi/lo
> >> to signed char to avoid this error.
> >
> > CHAR is a Windows type so I don't think it's right for it to be unsigned
> > on PowerPC. Even more so since there is a UCHAR type.
> >
> > So I think the right thing to do is to fix the CHAR declaration in
> > wtypes.h and winnt.h.
>
> No, CHAR is really supposed to be the same thing as char, since it's
> used for strings. Otherwise you'll need casts all over the place.

Ideally we'd check whether 'char' was signed or unsigned in Visual C++
for PowerPC (there was a Windows NT 3.51 for PowerPC). I doubt that
Microsoft would have made it unsigned and then we'd need to do the same
to really be source compatibile. But since we're very unlikely to ever
be able to check that and since Windows on PowerPC is pretty irrelevant
anyway we can forget about it.

           If it stinks, it's chemistry. If it moves, it's biology.
                  If it does not work, It's computer science.