running msys under wine

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Fri Jan 9 15:28:25 CST 2009

> If it starts up the wine environment every time this might take some time.
>
> Try to keep a "notepad" open in the background so the wine environment stays
> running.

 hiya marcus, good advice - sounds reasonable.  tried it: wineserver
is the top-running process, stays with the same process id.  so i
don't believe it makes a difference: we're still looking at 20-30
seconds per line from configure.

 what i did was utterly utterly nastily cheat: i #ifdef'd most of the
lines from python's configure script, for a win32 build!  this would
normally be an absolute recipe for a horror-story disaster, but, given
that there's a preconfigured hard-coded pcbuild.h for visual studio to
use, to replace what configure normally does _anyway_, it's a one-off
acceptable thing.

this cuts the ./configure time from 2 hours to 10 minutes... :)

l.