Wine being targeted for adware

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 09:38:51 CST 2009

Jeff Zaroyko <jeffzaroyko at gmail.com> wrote:

>In an interesting interview, former adware author Matt Knox mentions
>that he was able to run his adware client on Wine:
>
>S: In your professional opinion, how can people avoid adware?
>M: Um, run UNIX.
>
>S: [ laughs]
>M: We did actually get the ad client working under Wine on Linux.
>
>S: That seems like a bit of a stretch!
>M: That was a pretty limited market, I'd say.

One:  This shows how well we run Windows programs.
Two:  The last comment should show how much respect we have in the community.  Things have changed since the release of Wine 1.0, but we have a long way to go to be on every Linux desktop and most of the MacIntosh community.

However, we should attempt to block adware as a matter of policy?  That is up to the Wine User Community and not based on the opinions of one or two people.  I for one would like to see if this is possible and feasible.  I do know that some of the virus testing community are using Wine as a Virtual Machine to see how much damage can be done by viruses in that environment.

James McKenzie