Running a simple .Net 3.0 application.

Louis Lenders xerox_xerox2000 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 14:59:09 CST 2009

I saw some good progress is being made on getting the .net 3.0 installer
 fixed in wine. Nice.

 As it will take yet quite some time until the installer is fixed, i
wondered if wine is in good shape to run .net 3.0 apps, once the
installer is finished.

Today I saw someone mentioning a program called InstallRite on the
users-list, and using this program, I was able to get a a simple
.Net 3.0 app running in wine.

I thought just share my experience here, in case anyone finds it useful.
The application i got running is very simple: AnimatedApplication from
http://www.longhorncorner.com/UploadFile/rahul4_saxena/AnAnimatedApplication07112007042303AM/AnAnimatedApplication.aspx

(You just need register, then you can download the file)

This way I got it running:

1. Fire up Windows Xp (a snapshot from a clean install) in my VirtualBox
2. Install Installrite from http://www.epsilonsquared.com/ in VirtualBox.
3. Start InstallRite, and from within InstallRite you can fire up the
dotnetfx3.exe (after downloaded it)
4. After the dotnetfx3.exe finshed the install, there's an option,
that you can make a "Build Install Kit". I did that, it creates
an executable (foo.exe). Save it in a place where you can access
 it from linux

5. In wine, first do 'winetricks dotnet20' (needed for l_int.nls i guess,
otherwise I got crash very early in the app)

6. Run foo.exe in wine, it will extract all files, and write all
 registry-keys, as if it were a successfull dotnetfx3 installation in wine.

7. Now Run the app, it crashes into a bunch of unimplemented functions.
Fortunately just simple stubs were enough to make the app happy.
I added stubs for

gdi32.GdiEntry13
kernel32.WerRegisterMemoryBlock
ntdll.NtSecureConnectPort
ntdll.RtlEnumerateGenericTableWithoutSplaying
ntdll.RtlIsGenericTableEmpty

Well, that was enough to get the app running.
I was not able to work around a problem in d3d9 ( the app just hang,
 displaying nothing, probably due to some unimplemented stuff in d3d9)
 but fortunaly disabling d3d9, was enough to get it running
(WINEDLLOVERRIDES="d3d9="""  wine AnimatedApplication.exe)

I'm not sure if it would be useful to open bugs already for the
unimplemented functions. If so, just shout, and i'll open some bugs.

Conclusion: once the installer is fixed, there's good  chance simple .net
3.0 at least apps will run quickly