Fwd: Draft XI 2 protocol specification

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Thu Jan 15 00:54:41 CST 2009

Roderick Colenbrander wrote:
> Hi Vitaliy,
>
> Peter Hutterer has submitted a draft specification of Xinput2 to the xorg

mailinglist. As you know it will offer relative mouse movements. He is
asking for feedback. Since I have no experience with Xinput you might want
to review it and see if it works out for Wine.

I'd say I like it so far. Should work really nicely for DInput. And I think
it should work for "RawInput" as well - one more API introduced in XP.
However someone needs to see how well this will work for tablet input?

The next big question - joysticks. If Wine ever decides to use X11 for
joysticks we'll need much more then what's available now in XI 1.x
(force-feedback anyone?) or spec'ed here. The other direction (to the
device) is IMHO needed as well.

Also not sure where all the extra keyboard add-ons belongs in. XI or
something else? Things like extra displays, LEDs - all the cool stuff on
some gaming devices.

Vitaliy.