Wine being targeted for adware

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 17:10:42 CST 2009

2009/1/15 Scott Ritchie <scott at open-vote.org>:

> There has been demand to implement a ClamAV powered on-access file scan
> within Wine.  That should fill that niche nicely, and also more
> elegantly since we don't have to run a Wine process to check the Wine
> system.  This has the added benefit of making it harder to compromise
> the virus checker itself, especially since that can then reside outside
> the user's home folder.  In a very real way, we could handle Windows
> security better than Windows.

Yes. Attempting to run the virus checker on the system you're
protecting is basically *insane*. An outboard checker on a different
OS is a ridiculously better idea.

The main problem with restricting access outside an app's WINEPREFIX
is not that it's a bad idea (it's a great idea), but that it could
lead to undue overconfidence on the part of users and an expectation
that this will actually meaningfully increase security.

- d.