OpenAL back-end: repost for reconsideration

FeepingCreature default_357-line at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 19 09:30:18 CST 2009

After STALKER: Clear Sky failed to generate viable sound output using
the existing drivers (in GIT head as of a few days back), I started
looking for solutions and stumbled over this thread:
http://www.nabble.com/RFC:-OpenAL-Winmm-driver-and-OpenAL32.dll-thunk-was-Re:-OpenAL-and-DirectSound-td7476795.html

I brought the patch up to speed with current Wine to the best of my
knowledge and pasted it here: http://pastebin.com/f2a559a22

It appears to make sound work flawlessly in at least one OpenAL-based
game, and I suspect there may be more.

In case this driver adds too much of a support/code overhead, would it
be possible to add it as a band-aid, until the problem that prevents the
other back-ends from working with Clear Sky is fixed?

Thanks for your comments.

 --feep

PS: No I'm not running Pulseaudio :)