AppDB: Rating / Patching

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Tue Jan 20 11:02:35 CST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:39:25PM +1100, Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/1/20  <Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com>:
>> Similarly, AppDB might prevent Gold or Silver ratings depending on
>> qualitative aspects of the steps needed to make an app work:
>>  - need for known distributable third party libraries (e.g. codecs, Quicktime)
>>   (not provided with the application's installer)

> This is already covered in the current "Gold" rating description. If
> the application requires such 3rd-party libraries that are *not
> normally present* on Windows (e.g. codecs, Quicktime), then it should
> ship with them. If the shipped 3rd-party libraries do not install for
> whatever reason, it's not a Platinum app.

What about apps that fail to include a necessary third-party library?

If I understand the AppDB comments and followed the IRC discussion
correctly, Warcraft 3's latest patch (1.22) was built with a newer
Visual Studio and so requires new Visual C runtimes, while previous
versions did not. And the patcher doesn't install these runtimes.

Assuming the above is correct (if I'm wrong, take it as a hypothetical)
then would that rate as Platinum if it's otherwise perfect?

I'm of the opinion that it does, on the grounds that Wine itself is
working fine, the problem is actually an upstream bug.

The maintainer of the relevant AppDB page (or at least the author of one
of the notes on that page, I presume the maintainer does that) does not.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/