AppDB: Rating / Patching

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jan 20 11:34:14 CST 2009

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
[...]
> What about apps that fail to include a necessary third-party library?
>
> If I understand the AppDB comments and followed the IRC discussion
> correctly, Warcraft 3's latest patch (1.22) was built with a newer
> Visual Studio and so requires new Visual C runtimes, while previous
> versions did not. And the patcher doesn't install these runtimes.

If you don't need to manually install the third-party library on a stock
installation of the application's officially supported Windows platform
(e.g. Wow on Windows XP), then you should not need to manually install
it in Wine. If you do, then that application cannot be rated platinum.

          Demander si un ordinateur peut penser revient à demander
                         si un sous-marin peut nager.