AppDB: Rating / Patching

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Fri Jan 23 03:30:24 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:56:50PM +1100, Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/1/22 Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr>:
>> On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Ben Klein wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Perhaps the question remains, is a VC7 runtime library intended to be
>>> developed and shipped with Wine? I don't think this is the case.

>> We have msvcirt, msvcrt, msvcrt20, msvcrt40, msvcr71 so I would not be
>> so sure. Which dlls are we talking about anyway?

> I'm always happy to be corrected :)

I guess that's the crux of the question. To my mind, msvc runtimes are
normally distributed with the using application (except some early ones
which I think comes with all the versions of 32-bit Windows) and operate
without hardware/HAL dependencies so they're not something that Wine needs
to implement to be a complete implementation of Win32.

They would be nice to have, sure. And then the upstream redistributable
package will see that they are already installed and not install them. I
presume this is the eventual goal for DirectX 9's D3DX support.

Is bug-for-bug compatibility enough for platinum? Or do we need to be
not just bug-for-bug compatible, but catching and fixing application
bugs or installer bugs which trigger more frequently under Wine than
Windows?

The .NET 2.0 installer comes to mind here as a counterexample. It fails
under Wine's WinXP mode because it uses a capability test which infers
the right conclusion under Windows, but the wrong conclusion under Wine,
despite there being a different test which actually answers the question
being inferred. I guess under the above reasoning, that would not
prevent it from being platinum, despite it being non-functional under
the default configuration.

.NET 2.0 is actually another example of a runtime which is often left
out of installers, with a note at the website (or not at all) saying
"You need .NET 2.0 installed". (I guess the eventual plan is to
integrate an mscoree.dll that points to Mono? I think I saw that on the
Wiki, anyway)

Should Wine act like a stock Windows (or stock + service packs) or
should it also be expected to provide whatever other random extension
libraries Microsoft publishes? (eg. Speech SDK...)

I hadn't realised Wine provided a msvcr71 implementation for that
matter.

>> msvcp80 and msvcr80? Or is it mfc80 that's needed?

>> Btw, the AppDB mentions Visual C++ 2005 which means we're talking about
>> VC8, not VC7. Or is the AppDB wrong? Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong
>> AppDB entry: there's Reign of Chaos (rated platinum), and the Frozen
>> Throne (rated gold).

> Someone mentioned Warcraft 3, someone else mentioned WoW, I'm not sure
> any more. It's all too confusing when you're low on coffee :P

The DLL confusion is my fault, I misaligned Visual C and Visual
Studio versions in my head.

In this case, it's Visual Studio 2005, msvc?80.dll.

Which coincidentally is the first one to implement SxS, which means it
behaves differently under <= Win2k and >= WinXP.

I dunno where WoW came into it, I was talking about Warcraft 3.

Mind you, occasionally AppDB users (and bug reporters) confused the two
as well. It doesn't help that WoW hit version 3 late last year.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
Very-later-year Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5/au/