Updated DIB Engine

Massimo Del Fedele max at veneto.com
Sun Jan 25 11:05:23 CST 2009

Ben Klein ha scritto:

> I'm still opposed to adding an environment variable for something so
> simple (an enable/disable flag). It just seems like extra work for no
> benefit to me. I'm sure we can all agree that the registry is a
> suitable place for the setting.

The environment variable allows testing on the fly of enabled/disabled
engine, AND allows to run some apps with engine enabled as others with
engine disabled. Having to run regedit just to test an app run is
overkilling, IMHO.
BTW, the environment variable is fully optional, you can but you haven't
to use it, if you choose so. just set the registry variable and all is ok.

> Isn't the idea that the DIB engine will only be used as needed, and
> will be good in all cases where it's used? If that's the case, it's
> not too important having on-the-fly per-application enabling/disabling
> (whereas WINEDEBUG and WINEDLLOVERRIDES can be VERY useful).

The engine, as it is, is by far less than complete, so very few apps do
benefit of it, one of them is autocad, at the moment. I guess most apps
are penalized by the engine in present state.
So I really don't see the point of avoiding an environment var which,
BTW, is checked just ONCE and on first loading of the DIB driver, and
costs just about 5 lines of code.

Max