Bugzilla question with respect to .NET 1.1SP1

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 26 12:34:43 CST 2009

Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org>
>Sent: Jan 26, 2009 7:21 AM
>To: Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>
>Cc: James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>, "wine-devel at winehq.org" <wine-devel at winehq.org>
>Subject: Re: Bugzilla question with respect to .NET 1.1SP1
>
>Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So that means bug 14850 needs to be reopened with a link to 13995?
>
>No, if it's the same bug it should be a single report. If .NET doesn't
>install then obviously all apps that try to install it will be broken,
>it doesn't make sense to create a separate bug for each app that suffers
>from the problem.

Actually, I have a different opinion as the reason a program will not install may, at first appearance, be the lack of .NET1.1SP1 but may be another function that Wine does not provide.  Paul is 'smart enough' to figure that the problem IS the lack of .NET functionality or the inability to install, but the common user may not.  I say, open the bug, mark it as a duplicate of the existing bug and then close it.  Add the reporter as a cc to the original bug.  When the bug is resolved, then have the user attempt to install the program, if it still fails, reopen the duplicate with whatever does not work now.  This keeps the number of bugs down and lets us know how much the lack of functionality affects the Wine user base.   Some users complain of being lost in the shuffle because they add to an existing bug that another program is affected.

What do you say about doing this?

James McKenzie