DNS10 goes 12 minutes rather than 10 before crashing.

Susan Cragin susancragin at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 27 20:35:28 CST 2009

>> As you may know, Dragon NaturallySpeaking 10 crashes on use with predictable regularity.
>> Used to be every 10 minutes.
>> However, yesterday (and today) that creeped up to 12 minutes.
>> It could be due to anything, but I thought one of you might say EUREKA!! it's the foobar.c part of oleacc!! or something like that.
>> If not, have a good day.
>> Susan
>
>Hi Susan,
>
>Is there a demo for DNS 10 and do you need to do anything special for
>it to crash? I presume you need to train it and then start speaking.
>
>- Reece

Hi, Reece.
There is no demo. DNS10 Standard costs $100. I have been somewhat successful in getting complimentary copies for developers. I'm meeting with one of the senior developers the second Tuesday in Feb. If you want a copy, send me something about you or a link to something about you, and a street address for mailing.
What I do:
Every day, I compile git and re-install DNS on a new .wine.
Then I train it and run it. I use it in my work, which is writing.
DNS10 used to be sort of flaky but it's getting better. Right now sometimes it crashes immediately on first run but then it runs GREAT -- fast and accurate -- for 10 minutes (now 12). Then it crashes. Always. Inevitably.
It's always the time factor. Always just about the same amount of seconds between the time the recognition engine initializes and when it crashes. I can be dictating like a maniac -- hundreds of words per minute, or I can dictate nothing at all. I can transfer text every 10 seconds or leave it all in DictationBox. I can change the settings to save trained text or not. Nothing makes any difference other than time.
BTW -- I always dictate into DictationBox, for transfer into Notepad. That is the way (under ALL configurations including Windows) that the program runs the best.
Susan