A proposal for increased security in wine - respecting previously expressed needs

Alex Villací­s Lasso a_villacis at palosanto.com
Thu Jan 29 13:07:13 CST 2009

Guillaume SH escribió:
> Hi wine community,
>
> I took some time for reflexion following the thread "A step in the wrong
> direction, in an ocean of steps in the right direction" and to the
> explanations some of you kindly exposed to me.
>
> As a follow-up I am making a proposal.
>
> A - The proposal
>
>   A1 - The core proposal
>
>      All function callable from outside wine should implement, as the first
> task they perform(1), a sanity parameter check. This check
>      hasn't to be systematic, only really used parameters should be checked
> and only checks assuring those parameters can be safely used
>      the way they are in the function implementation (or in a function
> called by it). Other check are superfluous and must be discarded.
>
>      So to decline the proposal operationally, I will take an example(2) :
>
>      BOOL WINAPI GetOverlappedResult(HANDLE hFile, LPOVERLAPPED
> lpOverlapped, [...])
>
>      if ( lpOverlapped == NULL )
>      {
>         #Call the function ExitWineCleanlyAndAdvertiseUser
>      }
>

>     This call being justified by the statement, following some lines later :
> status = lpOverlapped->Internal;
>

>     The function ExitWineCleanlyAndAdvertiseUser being something like that :
>
>     <Result to be determined> ExitWineCleanlyAndAdvertiseUser <Parameters to
> be determined>
>
>        #1 - Advertise user outputting a message, for example : "The
> application you used present a defect. Using it directly expose you to some
>             security issue and indirectly expose others users to some other
> security issue."
>
>        #2 - Cleanly release all still allocated resources
>
>        #3 - Cleanly exit wine
>

>   A2 - offering flexibility
>
>      As I have understood that wine community is willing to be able to run
> all applications written for a Windows platform,
>      even those relying on the worse behaviours of windows, I will propose
> too to add a registry key for the purpose of enabling / disabling
>      wine "safe" mode.
>      In this case it would make sense that "safe" mode is the default, with
> possibility to fall-back to "unsafe" mode when needed.
>
> B - Advantages / Drawbacks to the proposal
>
>     Drawback of this solution I can think of are :
>     1 - It is contrary to the current consensus
>     2 - It implies a lot of work (even if this can be done bit by bit over a
> long period time, direction is what matters here)
>     3 - Detailed implementation of what I presented may very well not be as
> simple as I imagine, or even impossible
>     4 - Maybe all the reasons have not been expressed in the previous
> thread, thus not considered here
>     5 - It can go against the interest of the author of those apps relying
> on Windows's bad behaviors (large firms for example)
>     6 - It doesn't cover all security issue in wine and it doesn't cover at
> all security issue in the calling app
>     7 - Performance drop-down may be expected (0,01%, 0,1%, 1%, more ? I
> [...]
I think I remember a discussion about a particular bug in which some
version of an installer (InstallShield?) refused to work correctly
because the wine version of one API call was checking a pointer
parameter against NULL and returning an error code instead of crashing.
If I recall correctly, it turned out that the installer *expected* the
crash, and depended on the fault handler executing some code for its
correct operation. So the NULL check was removed, the API now crashes
with the invalid pointer (exactly like native) and that installer now
works correctly. Maybe somebody who was involved in the actual fix can
dig up a pointer to the relevant thread.

How would your proposal work in this case? Instead of the installer
working normally (from the point of view of the user), wine now would
show an unexpected popup with some message. Most probably the user won't
read the message. Instead, he or she will complain that wine now has a
regression and refuses to install program XYZ.

Regarding "encouraging best practices", this won't work for the zillion
Windows programs already written for Windows that people might want to
try under Wine. Especially abandonware. My personal opinion is that this
proposal would be more annoying and helpful, and if ever implemented, it
should be used as a debugging tool (disabled by default), rather than
something the user sees. Maybe this could be implemented as a trace
enabled by WINEDEBUG.

--
perl -e '$x=2.3;printf("%.0f + %.0f = %.0f\n",$x,$x,$x+$x);'