Standard dialogs size & translation

Frédéric Delanoy frederic.delanoy at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 07:23:47 CDT 2009

Hi,

I'm currently updating/fixing the (French translation of the) commdlg32 dialogs.
There is a warning in cdlg_XX.rc saying "WARNING: DO NOT CHANGE THE
SIZE OF THE STANDARD DIALOG TEMPLATES"

However, e.g. in the standard "File Open" dialog, the standard size of
some labels (e.g. "File name") is too small for a correct translation,
and only the start of the message is shown (which is obviously wrong).

I could manage to get correct translated version by modifying
"internal" sizes (while keeping the total size of the dialog the
same).

Does the warning only apply to all localized versions, or just for the
English one? What are the potential problems if a dialog is slightly
adapted to fit a particular language?

Frédéric