server/fd.c: Prevent using uninitialized pointers

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at
Sat Jul 4 14:03:15 CDT 2009

Henri Verbeet wrote:
> 2009/6/30 Daniel Santos <javatroubadour at>:
>> Some pointers are getting used prior to initialization.  It would appear that the current compilers are initializing them to zero or we've been lucky.
> No, the C standard specifies that these are initialized to NULL, since
> they have static storage duration.
We are assuming that the c compilers are following the standard.  I was
told a long time ago, 1994 to be exact, that if we want to insure that a
variable has a certain value to initialize it to that value.  This
applies if we want a zero or a NULL.

int a = 0;
char b = NULL;
bool c = TRUE;

Without this, we cannot assume anything.

James McKenzie