current state of full screen on MacOS?

Vincent Povirk madewokherd+8cd9 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:55:12 CDT 2009

> - Programs that offer a "select screen resolution" requester present a
>  list whose largest vertical/Y resolution is 22 pixel less than what
>  the monitor offers.  I believe OSX reserves some place for its menu
>  bar.  Lower resolution entries, e.g. 1024x768 and 800x600, are
>  listed normally.  They work in desktop window mode.

Yep, I'm told this is a limitation of the X server that runs in OSX.

> - Programs that want to make use of full screen fail or hang somehow.
>  The issue may be two-fold:
> a) full screen does not work at all, or
> b) switching to full screen resolutions less than my LCD's native
>  resolution does not work, and applications do not cope with that.
>  E.g. many want to display a low-resolution intro video.

I don't know anything about this.

> - Approx. two monthes ago, a hybrid desktop mode was implemented in
>  Wine: eliminate the desktop window when it matches the full screen
>  size; recreate it when switching back to lower resolutions.  I've
>  not observed that effect either, but the idea is brilliant.

That's doubly broken on OSX I'm afraid. It needs to know about the
menu bar area, and it needs a window manager that understands
_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN.

I'm told CrossOver has some hacks for this that will work if a program
changes the screen size through DirectX, but they won't work for
virtual desktops.

--
Vincent Povirk