MaxVertexBlendMatrices issue

Karl Vogel karl.vogel at
Sat Jul 11 15:41:32 CDT 2009

(resend after subscribing to the ML - if the first post comes through,
pls excuse the spam then :P )

Just tracked down a crash in the game Dark Age of Camelot (daoc) when
pixelshaders are enabled. The game issues a GetDeviceCaps() and then
checks if MaxVertexBlendMatrices >= 4, which on wine is set to zero on
my videocard (Geforce 6800), whereas a windows box returns 4.

I found this old post concerning MaxVertexBlendMatrices causing issues
in another game (EQ):

So I was wondering what the proper way to fix this would be? Should
this be made overrideable by a registry setting for certain games? Or
should the GL check be changed? Or is that software emulated vertex
blending patch needed to correctly fix the issue?

Bugzilla has 3 other games where the simple 'fix' of returning 4 makes
the game work (Warhammer, EQ, Shin Megami Tensei Online):

For reference the daoc bug is