winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

Adam Strzelecki ono at java.pl
Tue Jul 14 09:26:39 CDT 2009

Francois,

> I've seen some Obj-C code and it looks really weird. Of course I've
> never 'learned' to program it so it's probably normal. But it's
> certainly the case that only developpers who know Obj-C can work on
> it.
> Contrast this with the current situation where as soon as you know C
> you
> can work on any area of Wine.

Look, anyway Obj-C is supposed to be used in Wine only for Mac
support, and not for anything else. Any developer that knows how to
program Mac knows Obj-C so there's nothing wrong with constraint that
only developers that know Obj-C can work on it, because those are guys
that know how to program Mac.
Or by contradiction... even if the code was written in pure-C, non-Obj-
C developers wouldn't be able to work on it anyway because they
wouldn't know OSX API and wouldn't have Mac machine for development :)

> That said, from the sound of it it does really look like Apple is
> pushing Obj-C so maybe we don't have much choice in the matter.

It's not really about Apple pushing Obj-C, but about Obj-C being a
foundation of the OSX and Next operating systems, while not being as
popular as C++ just because Macs doesn't share so much of the market
as Windows, where C++ gained its popularity, thanks to MFC, Borland,
etc.

I'd gladly help writing native Wine Mac support, but I don't want
really do it hard way using obscure excessive C code, but do it in Obj-
C.
I do respect my own time and pure-C way is in opposition for that.

Regards,
--
Adam