winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Jul 14 17:38:23 CDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, Adam Strzelecki wrote:

> Francois,
>
> > I've seen some Obj-C code and it looks really weird. Of course I've
> > never 'learned' to program it so it's probably normal. But it's
> > certainly the case that only developpers who know Obj-C can work on it.
> > Contrast this with the current situation where as soon as you know C you
> > can work on any area of Wine.
>
> Look, anyway Obj-C is supposed to be used in Wine only for Mac support, and
> not for anything else. Any developer that knows how to program Mac knows Obj-C
> so there's nothing wrong with constraint that only developers that know Obj-C
> can work on it, because those are guys that know how to program Mac.
> Or by contradiction... even if the code was written in pure-C, non-Obj-C
> developers wouldn't be able to work on it anyway because they wouldn't know
> OSX API and wouldn't have Mac machine for development :)

I have never done any OpenGL programming, and yet I can detect and fix
issues in the OpenGL or Direct3D code, such as make functions static,
avoid unneeded forward dependencies, fix compilation warnings, etc. But
I don't think I could do this type of thing if the code were
Objective-C.

So no, even if the code is only for Macs, writing it in Obj-C will cut
you off from some developpers. And yes, I have a Mac (and I'm as good at
Mac development as I am at OpenGL development).

                          "Utilisateur" (nom commun) :
        Mot utilisé par les informaticiens en lieu et place d'"idiot".