winequartz.drv Mac OS X UI discontinued?

Chris Robinson chris.kcat at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 15:38:17 CDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009 2:40:08 am Adam Strzelecki wrote:
> You can run X11 app on Windows as well, as there're several X11
> servers. But none would appreciate that ;) And none would say you
> don't have to use WinAPI to program Windows.

Actually, I know quite a few that would say you don't need to use the WinAPI
to program for Windows. There are libs (eg. Qt and wxWindows), that let you
create Windows apps without touching any WinAPI code directly. Such libs tend
to be too heavy of a dependency for Wine to use, though.

> Already mentioned here, there's Carbon which is pure-C API for Mac.

That doesn't seem to be the same thing as C bindings. As I understand it,
Carbon is a legacy API that came from MacOS 9, and was brought into OSX to
help with getting OS9 apps ported. Proper C bindings would have you calling
Cocoa, but using a C API instead of an Obj-C API.