Wine very very slow in Chinese language of Linux

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jul 16 03:33:28 CDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Jul 2009, axel_xia at sohu.com wrote:
[...]
> 1). Reason:  Wine uses traditional protocol for communication between
> client and server, and it seems that iptables is disabled in
> linux/wine.
>
> Action:  execute command "iptables -I INPUT -s 127.0.0.1 -j ACCEPT"

That does not sound plausible at all. If lo was firewalled by default,
then a lot of non-Wine applications would not be working. Any X
application in particular (unless DISPLAY=hostname:0.0 which would be a
heresy for a local X display as it would expose it to hacking from the
net).

You could check the output of 'iptables -L INPUT -v -n' on the default
configuration, and also check 'echo $DISPLAY'.

> 2). Reason:  Locale problem, lots of Linux distrubitions use utf-8 for
> Chinese locale, and wine will firstly try to search/request the utf-8
> font sets which do not exisit in ./wine/drive_c/windows/fonts. Then
> wine will request other font sets that suits other locale(language
> environment) one by one (image how many languages in the world).
>
> Action:  Execute command "env LANG=en_US wine your_program" or "env
> LANG=zh_CN wine your_program", to tell wine which language locale you
> want to use. (zh_CN is the Chinese locale in Linux)

This does not really make sense to me either. My knowledge in this area
is pretty superficial, but as far as I know there is no way Wine is
enumerating all possible languages trying to match fonts to each
language. Point me to the code if I'm wrong. Also, if LANG is not set
then you default to the C locale (unless LC_ALL is set) which is the
most basic English locale. So if the above was correct, everyone should
be experiencing this slow font issue.

I don't know enough about points 3 and 4 to comment.

               If you think the whole world revolves around you,
                 quit staring at the GPS display while driving.