SVG Logo from the website

Joel Holdsworth joel at airwebreathe.org.uk
Sat Jul 18 16:53:31 CDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-18 at 17:30 -0400, Steven Edwards wrote:
> I am curious though, the cryptui.dll cert icons don't strike me as
> right. I can't even tell what they are supposed to be.

The icon is the standard "certification" icon taken from the Tango base
set. From what I can see it represents a wax seal - the old way of
certifying one's identity. In fact the original icon has the seal drawn
in yellow on the left of the certificate, so the idea isn't too crazy.

You could be right though. Maybe the metaphore isn't as clear as it
could be - especially when the UI explicitly uses the word
"certificates".

Drawing high quality icons takes me a long time, so I'm trying to avoid
creating too much work for myself. On the other hand if people think
it's wrong, then I don't mind working to get it right.

It doesn't matter too much either way though, because cryptui is very
obscure - so obscure that it's only after months of work on this project
that I've been able to find a way to actually display the dialog for the
first time! I had to write custom test software to do it! So whatever
happens the impact on users will be quite low.