FW: Re: please reduce the four registrations on the single winehq.org site.

Sparr sparr0 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 16:21:42 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Steven Edwards<winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Scott Ritchie<scott at open-vote.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but there may be some merit in having
>> one of the accounts function as an OpenID Provider and then have the
>> others be able to link to it (but still be "separate accounts").  After
>> that it's just about being able to login by OpenID rather than have a
>> single account moving across each place.
>
> Based upon my recollection there was a lot of contempt for OpenID at
> the last wineconf. Maybe the situation has changed recently...

Was the contempt for OpenID in general, or the idea of using an
existing third party as an OpenID providers?  Although it would be
against the spirit of OpenID, it would be possible for one WineHQ
service to provide OpenID only to other WineHQ services, and for them
to only accept an OpenID from that particular WineHQ provider.  This
would be no better than other single-sign-on solutions, but there are
a lot more open source cross-framework implementations of OpenID
available than for most other solutions.