Request for comments on patch

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Sun Jun 14 16:52:46 CDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Stefan Dösinger<stefandoesinger at gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 14. Juni 2009 23:11:42 schrieb Erich Hoover:
>
>> So, a patch similar to the one Mike pointed out* but able to report
>> different drivers for different OSes would prove acceptable (possibly
>> w/ a second patch for overrides)?  The email was some time ago, but I
>> thought someone was pretty adamant that Wine should not report a
>> driver that does not exist and that was the major show-stopper.
> Is there any app that depends on the real display driver name, or just the
> device description string? I lost overview of the situation :-/

Yes, the one I'm most familiar with is Fallout 3.  It's very tempting
to whack Bethesda upside the head...

> There are some other problems to deal with:
>
> *) If  we create a stub / thunk driver for each known windows display driver,
> we potentially have  all those thunks around. E.g. an app might complain that
> it finds BOTH nv4_disp.dll AND atiumdag.dll.

You think that the very existence of extra DLLs would pose a problem?
Even if the DLL detected that it was incorrect and failed on DllMain?

> *) Providing these vendor specific DLLs can trigger other problems - for
> example, apps might start trying to call functions in the driver, but skip
> gracefully now. So we should see if the driver APIs are at least
> pseudo-documented

At least for the nvidia driver (nv4_disp.dll) there are no exposed
functions, I don't currently have a driver disk for other
manufacturers.  However, it's possible that routines are exposed in
some other way.

> *) Centralized detection. If the gdi32 detection comes to a different
> conclusion than the wined3d one this may cause trouble. It may require moving
> the current wined3d GL based detection code to winex11.drv and use it from
> wined3d and gdi and others to report the same result everywhere.

I believe in the example that I attached that I found all of the
detection code and put it in one centralized location.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu