Fate of PulseAudio in WINE

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Jun 16 10:59:58 CDT 2009

Am Dienstag, 16. Juni 2009 17:39:47 schrieb Remco:
> Well, but Wine doesn't fix bugs for Windows programs. If a program
> doesn't work in Windows, it's not a requirement that it works in Wine.
>
> I think that the PulseAudio developer means the same thing for PA.
> Some apps use ALSA in a way that cannot be expected to work. In other
> words: it probably fails on some ALSA systems as well.
The *some* is the key here. If Windows app X is broken, but works on *some*
Windows systems, we generally implement the specific behavior of those "some"
systems where it works.

The GPU example is just the most prominent example. Intel cards are 50+% of
the market share, but there are many games that don't work on them. If this
game fails for the same reason on Wine, I consider this a bug in Wine.

There are other examples too. Just look for complaints of Wine tests failing
on Windows because our tests are too strict.