Problems with ~/.wine/dosdevices symlinks on samba servers

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sun Jun 21 21:25:02 CDT 2009

According to
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux/browse_thread/thread/9b0c746965d34f73
a user is having trouble because the symlinks in ~/.wine/dosdevices
don't work when on a Samba share.

It's unfortunate at this late date to realize that one
of the key choices Wine made isn't compatible
with the cifs/samba combination... but I guess
nobody expected home directories to be served
with that network filesystem.

If this turns out to be a real problem, what are our options?
The first thing that comes to mind is to notice
the problem and fall back to underscore instead of colon somehow...