W-related helper functions for our tests

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Mon Jun 22 02:15:51 CDT 2009

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Paul Vriens wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it would make sense to introduce several helper functions
> that could be used by all our tests.
>
> The main ones needed are the ones to cope with Win9x missing several
> W-functions.
>
> Another one used quite often in the tests is something like wine_dbgstr_w.
[...]

A goal to keep in mind is that the conformance tests must be as
independent from Wine as possible. This means that, except for
wine/test.h of course, one should restrain from depending on
Wine-specific headers. So if we add additional helper functions this
essentially means they should be defined inwine/test.h.

Also I feel it would be nice to keep the tests independent from msvcrt,
especially on the Wine side (this to keep tests of low-level libraries
from depending on high-level libraries, i.e. msvcrt). But maybe not
everyone feels that way. That would mean we cannot depend on "%S"
(unless one of the lower level Wine libraries (crtdll?) supports
something like it too).

A particle is an irreducible representation of the Poincaré Group - Eugene Wigner