Removing active maintainers

Erich Hoover ehoover at mines.edu
Fri Jun 26 11:11:40 CDT 2009

2009/6/26 Ken Sharp <kennybobs at o2.co.uk>

> Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
>
>  It's important to note that the script would also have warned maintainers
>> that there are queued items for the apps they maintain.
>>

> Yup, but queued data is also listed down the left of the page, and an email
> is sent to the maintainer for every test result, bug link, screenshot and
> comment added to the app (as well as monitor and other stuff, but that's
> another issue...)
>
>  We can make it so only the first 25 threads are shown by default, then
>> have a 'show all comments' link. This should make it easier for users,
>> maintainers and admins alike.
>> Is 25 a good limit? Please post your suggestions.
>>

> It doesn't really matter how many comments are shown, most of them are
> useless, and if clicking on "Show all" shows hundreds or thousands of
> comments, the user is still none-the-wiser.

I have found that many of the "useless" comments show up as good Google
searches when I'm looking up errors.  This kind of behavior has been
incredibly useful in the past for figuring out what to do with a bug I've
encountered.  Unfortunately, lately it's been much harder for me to use this
approach because after I use the link in Google the comments are gone.  This
behavior wouldn't be a "big" deal except that AppDB only shows the top
comments in the Google cache (and Google will eventually remove these
pages), so there's no way to look at the responses for deleted comments
(note: if we changed AppDB to feed Google all of the comments that would be
really nice).

Anyway, I would definitely appreciate a 25 threads/page system - the current
"infinite comments" system is rather unweildly to navigate.  Personally, I
would prefer that rather than delete these comments that comments get marked
as "outdated".  If outdated comments weere pushed to the end of the list,
and clearly marked that they are outdated, then they could still be useful
for historical purposes without interfering with the usability of the site.

Erich Hoover
ehoover at mines.edu