Removing active maintainers

Luke Benstead kazade at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:18:56 CDT 2009

2009/6/26 Erich Hoover <ehoover at mines.edu>:
> 2009/6/26 Ken Sharp <kennybobs at o2.co.uk>
>>

>> Alexander Nicolaysen Sørnes wrote:
>>
>>> It's important to note that the script would also have warned maintainers
>>> that there are queued items for the apps they maintain.
>>>

>> Yup, but queued data is also listed down the left of the page, and an
>> email is sent to the maintainer for every test result, bug link, screenshot
>> and comment added to the app (as well as monitor and other stuff, but that's
>> another issue...)
>>
>>> We can make it so only the first 25 threads are shown by default, then
>>> have a 'show all comments' link. This should make it easier for users,
>>> maintainers and admins alike.
>>> Is 25 a good limit? Please post your suggestions.
>>
>> It doesn't really matter how many comments are shown, most of them are
>> useless, and if clicking on "Show all" shows hundreds or thousands of
>> comments, the user is still none-the-wiser.

> I have found that many of the "useless" comments show up as good Google
> searches when I'm looking up errors.  This kind of behavior has been
> incredibly useful in the past for figuring out what to do with a bug I've
> encountered.  Unfortunately, lately it's been much harder for me to use this
> approach because after I use the link in Google the comments are gone.  This
> behavior wouldn't be a "big" deal except that AppDB only shows the top
> comments in the Google cache (and Google will eventually remove these
> pages), so there's no way to look at the responses for deleted comments
> (note: if we changed AppDB to feed Google all of the comments that would be
> really nice).
>
> Anyway, I would definitely appreciate a 25 threads/page system - the current
> "infinite comments" system is rather unweildly to navigate.  Personally, I
> would prefer that rather than delete these comments that comments get marked
> as "outdated".  If outdated comments weere pushed to the end of the list,
> and clearly marked that they are outdated, then they could still be useful
> for historical purposes without interfering with the usability of the site.
>
> Erich Hoover
> ehoover at mines.edu

I personally think a Slashdot style system (like mentioned earlier) is
perfect for this. If users rated posts up and down, and there is a
customizable threshold above which the comments are visible. Then the
most relevant and useful posts would always be the ones people could
see, outdated/irrelevant posts would drop below the threshold and only
the subject would be visible. You could even use simple AJAX to grab
the comments that were below the threshold when they are requested,
which would save on bandwidth/page load for pages with a large number
of comments.

Luke.