Removing active maintainers

Chris Morgan chmorgan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:30:46 CDT 2009

>> I have found that many of the "useless" comments show up as good Google
>> searches when I'm looking up errors.  This kind of behavior has been
>> incredibly useful in the past for figuring out what to do with a bug I've
>> encountered.  Unfortunately, lately it's been much harder for me to use this
>> approach because after I use the link in Google the comments are gone.  This
>> behavior wouldn't be a "big" deal except that AppDB only shows the top
>> comments in the Google cache (and Google will eventually remove these
>> pages), so there's no way to look at the responses for deleted comments
>> (note: if we changed AppDB to feed Google all of the comments that would be
>> really nice).
>>
>> Anyway, I would definitely appreciate a 25 threads/page system - the current
>> "infinite comments" system is rather unweildly to navigate.  Personally, I
>> would prefer that rather than delete these comments that comments get marked
>> as "outdated".  If outdated comments weere pushed to the end of the list,
>> and clearly marked that they are outdated, then they could still be useful
>> for historical purposes without interfering with the usability of the site.
>>
>> Erich Hoover
>> ehoover at mines.edu
>>

> I personally think a Slashdot style system (like mentioned earlier) is
> perfect for this. If users rated posts up and down, and there is a
> customizable threshold above which the comments are visible. Then the
> most relevant and useful posts would always be the ones people could
> see, outdated/irrelevant posts would drop below the threshold and only
> the subject would be visible. You could even use simple AJAX to grab
> the comments that were below the threshold when they are requested,
> which would save on bandwidth/page load for pages with a large number
> of comments.
>
> Luke.

Replacing the comments system in the appdb has been a long standing
goal. The plan was to take an existing system and interface it into
the appdb so we could leverage a project that was designed to manage
threads/comments etc. I would be willing to provide consulting help to
anyone interested in working on that task.

Chris