why is Kronenberg's Wine/Mac work blacklisted on winehq?

Roderick Colenbrander thunderbird2k at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 15:36:54 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 9:42 PM, Steven Edwards<winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Dmitry
> Timoshkov<dmitry at codeweavers.com> wrote:
>> Darwine site claims that it's under GPL. In any case different name means
>> a different product regardless of claims and intentions. Darwine is not
>> Wine, plain and simple.
>
> I have a Mac that I've given Austin English access to for his Wine
> hacking needs and he's got a set of scripts for building and running
> Winetests. I am happy to provide binaries of stock Winehq but I don't
> see any reason why we can't link to Mike's Darwine build. Maybe he's
> not had time to cleanup his site, documentation or whatever.
>
> As far as the patches go, fewer and fewer of them are needed. Austin
> has been cleaning up the build script, which btw mostly just satisfies
> dependencies. I don't know of any major patch we currently need to
> make stock Wine not suck on OS X. Having the extra Darwine stuff like
> the helper should not be a problem as it does not mess with Wine
> directly. For my own tree, the only major hack I've used from Darwine
> is the wine script that is used to launch Wine. It simply insures the
> environment is always sane and has the normal stock wine binary
> renamed to mwine. Certain Linux package maintainers have recently
> expressed interest in bundling the DIB Engine and custom Icon sets in
> their Wine packages are we going to stop allowing those package
> maintainers to link on Winehq if they do this?

If they ship hacks like the DIB engine then we won't accept bug
reports for it as it a real big hack and shouldn't be linked to from
our website. Tweaking themes or icons is fine. Actually we just need
to refine our .msstyles support and then icon can just be part of a
theme like they are on Windows.

Roderick