why is Kronenberg's Wine/Mac work blacklisted on winehq?

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 15:48:10 CDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Roderick
Colenbrander<thunderbird2k at gmail.com> wrote:
> If they ship hacks like the DIB engine then we won't accept bug
> reports for it as it a real big hack and shouldn't be linked to from
> our website. Tweaking themes or icons is fine. Actually we just need
> to refine our .msstyles support and then icon can just be part of a
> theme like they are on Windows.

Maybe that was a bad example though it is opt-in to turn on the
DibEngine even it is installed so the amount of false reports from it
should be pretty low. But fine, I grant maybe the DibEngine is
slightly invasive and if enabled could lead to bogus bug reports. To
my knowledge none of the required patches for a Darwine build with
current Wine are very invasive.

Normally I wouldn't care about such things but we decided at Wineconf
(in Reading I think), when the question of Mac users came up, the
consensus was point them at Darwine because nobody wanted to do binary
builds. I think we have a brief talk about it at the last Wineconf (I
was pretty sick and out of it for most of it) but I don't recall the
policy being changed. If we are going to arbitrarily decide to just
nuke support for Mike's package (The only semi-actively maintained
Darwine) there should be some discussion first because it was a topic
at Wineconf. Like I said, I'm happy to offer my box for doing builds
if there is really consensus that it needs to change.

Thanks
--
Steven Edwards