Removing active maintainers

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Jun 26 19:32:36 CDT 2009

A few comments:

1. I agree that it is useful to remove obsolete, uninformative
comments in the appdb.  (You have to be careful to leave the old
informative ones, though;  if somebody has a great workaround or bug
that might still be useful, don't delete it.)

2. The wiki is not the place for appdb-like stuff; duplication of
information silos is generally a bad idea.
Yes, I created a few wiki pages for Adobe apps, but that was a
temporary hack, and the appdb provides almost enough flexibility.
(What's missing is the ability to add howto's and notes at the
application level, i.e. one level higher than the version level where
they all go right now, but that's not usually a dealbreaker.)

3. Eight days is way too quick to remove an inactive maintainer.  Six
months is more like it.

4. The Wine community has some abrasive characters in it.
Periodically we have to ask some of them to chill out.   Everyone who
is very active should take care that they don't get too curt with
other developers or with users.   A basic level of courtesy shouldn't
be too hard.
Dogfights where two maintainers are asking to have each other thrown
out are a good sign that both of said developers need to chill.

'Nuff said.
- Dan