Windows Unix Subsystem finally catches up to Wine

Steven Edwards winehacker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 14:40:55 CST 2009

On Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Steven Edwards <winehacker at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> This is just some interesting reading you guys might enjoy. It seems,
> the Unix subsystem will give you the ability to create a mixed
> application able to call Win32 and Unix functionality. In effect PSX
> becomes like wineserver and you have to wrap your win32 libs as posix
> libraries. (sound familure).
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/shan/archive/2007/02/06/posix-code-and-win32-gui.aspx
>
> This is dated 2007 so its not really NEW news, but it is still
> interesting that Wine was able to create cross platform applications
> for like 10 years before Microsoft was able to with their posix
> subsystem.

I also forgot to mention something else I found that we've had for
like 4 or 5 years.

http://interix-wgcc.sourceforge.net/index.html

"wgcc is a cross-compiler tool primarily written for Microsoft's
Interix. Its primary purpose is to produce native Windows binaries
(internally using the Microsoft Tool chain), and to mimic the
behaviour of the GNU compiler collection. This means that wgcc
understands many of GCC's command line arguments, and in most cases
delivers the same results as expected, sometimes manipulating the
underlying tool's input and output"

Somehow the idea of the gcc wrapper emulating mingw does not sound new to me...

Maybe we should patent this shit ;)
--
Steven Edwards