New test failures (out of the blue?)

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 4 03:09:00 CST 2009

2009/3/4 Paul Vriens <paul.vriens.wine at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> We suddenly have a new test failure on NT4 and above for advapi32:security :
>
> security.c:1202: Test failed: GetTokenInformation failed with error 998

998 = ERROR_NOACCESS -- "Invalid access to memory location."

Google (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ERROR_NOACCESS+GetTokenInformation&btnG=Search&hl=en&sa=2)
found http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2008-04/msg00222.html:

"For whatever reason, GetTokenInformation was failing and returning
ERROR_NOACCESS when passed a 1024 byte buffer.  I changed the code to
first call it with NULL to get the desired size, and that seems to have
satisfied it.  I cannot explain why it would object to a 1024 byte
buffer, maybe you have some idea."

That thread seems to suggest that this is an alignment issue -- the
GetTokenInformation wants the buffer to be aligned properly. Corinna
Vinschen suggests using

    PTOKEN_GROUPS groups = (PTOKEN_GROUPS) alloca (size);

as alloca aligns correctly in cygwin's case.

The buffer used in the test (line 1199) is allocated on the stack as a
standard array and is thus not guaranteed to have the correct
alignment.

> And now also the rpcrt4:server test on W2K3 crashes (which it didn't before)
> although that crash is not shown on test.winehq.org (child process
> crashing?) but you will see 13 failures for this test (0 before).
>
> I haven't found the variable yet. I'm running VMware but I also see the
> advapi32 failure on a real box. My VMware image for W2K3 hasn't been updated
> since last week.

No idea for this one. Have you done a bisect?

- Reece