Wiki challenge question on user account creation

Dmitry Timoshkov dmitry at codeweavers.com
Thu Mar 5 00:07:59 CST 2009

"Dimi Paun" <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 11:59 -0600, John Klehm wrote:
>> I wouldn't really want per save captcha either, per account creation
>> is what I was hoping would cut down the spam.  If the accounts are
>> created manually not much we can do about it :(
>
> I think that's the case. Which is why I think it's not worth doing,
> as we would just make it harder on most real users, while not detracting
> any of the spammers.

Actually if there are a lot of user account creation every day in the Wine
wiki then there is something wrong with it. There are not that much Wine
developers and probably some active testers/appdb maintainers, who else
could pretend to have a user account in the Wine wiki?

> Moreover it will add additional maintenance
> burden on our part to keep the captchas operational.

Isn't that an one time effort?

--
Dmitry.