Wiki challenge question on user account creation

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Thu Mar 5 08:52:46 CST 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-05 at 14:07 +0800, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
> Actually if there are a lot of user account creation every day in the
> Wine wiki then there is something wrong with it. There are not that
> much Wine developers and probably some active testers/appdb
> maintainers, who else could pretend to have a user account in the Wine
> wiki?

I don't think we have all that many. The wiki is up for a few years,
and we have <2700 accounts, I'd suspect most of them are valid accounts.

If spammers would create them automatically, we would have see
a lot more I'd think.

> > Moreover it will add additional maintenance
> > burden on our part to keep the captchas operational.
>
> Isn't that an one time effort?

Not sure -- if this is not integrated in the base version,
it will create problems every time we need to do an upgrade.
Moin is great, but they break things all the time between
versions, it's already a pain to do the upgrades...

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.