AppDB entries are being delete without contacting maintainer by Rozanne

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 6 15:44:32 CST 2009

Austin English <austinenglish at gmail.com> wrote on March 6:
>Sent: Mar 6, 2009 1:42 PM
>To: Klaus Layer <klaus.layer at gmx.de>, Rosanne DiMesio <dimesio at earthlink.net>
>Cc: Wine Develop <wine-devel at winehq.org>
>Subject: Re: AppDB entries are being delete without contacting maintainer by 	Rozanne
>
>On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Klaus Layer <klaus.layer at gmx.de> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> since several months a user Rozanne is changing AppDB entries without
>> contacting the maintainers. Most of the changes so far were minor changes.
>> But today I was informed that Rozanne just deleted an entry which was
>> maintained by me. According to the email I received, there were duplicated
>> entries for the programm Mapsource. I regard deleting entries from Appdb
>> without giving the maintainer a chance to backup what they maintained a
>> *very* unfriendly act. I would have merged the two entries under one to save
>> the valuable information users added to AppDB. Just deleting entries from
>> AppDB, deletes information the wine community collected to support using
>> wine. Users spent a lot of time and just deleting their work is *not*
>> acceptable.
>>
>> Can someone of the adminstrators of AppDB please make sure that Rozanne stops
>> deleting entries from AppDB without informing the maintainers before. I would
>> expect to be informed about such an action before and that I as a maintainer
>> have the right to discuss was is being delete and what not.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Klaus

Also, please be aware that entries referring to ReactOS, PlayonLinux and Crossover are also being removed.  The latter is actually biting the hand that feeds us.  CodeWeavers, the producers of Crossover, host WineHQ.  What might be a better idea is to state:

"This program has been shown to work better with Crossover, please visit their web site for more details.  Please be aware that Crossover is a commercial product whose developers also support Wine."

James McKenzie