AppDB entries are being delete without contacting maintainer by Rozanne

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 6 22:09:28 CST 2009

Ben Klein wrote:
> 2009/3/7 James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>:
>
>> Also, please be aware that entries referring to ReactOS, PlayonLinux and Crossover are also being removed.  The latter is actually biting the hand that feeds us.  CodeWeavers, the producers of Crossover, host WineHQ.  What might be a better idea is to state:
>>

> It's not biting the hand that feed us. We don't want Crossover AppDB
> data in Wine's AppDB, just like Crossover doesn't want Wine's AppDB
> data in their AppDB.

Ben:

CodeWeavers provides a great deal of support and fixes for Wine.  Let us
not forget this.

Second, yes this should be a USER comment.  I for one cannot run any of
the dOOm games on my Intel Mac.  The reason is that the OpenGL support
from Apple and the XQuartz project is not 'up to snuff' for Wine.
However, CrossOver Office and CrossOver Games will run these games.  Why
the code has not made it back into Wine is not my decision.  So, if I
were to write up an entry for these games, I would rate the game(s)
Garbage with the note above.  I would hope that this would be enough of
an explanation, for now.  If XQuartz were to release a version that did
incorporate appropriate OpenGL code, I would retest and re-evaluate.
This might result in an upgrade of my evaluation, or it might not fix
the problem.

However, we should not just remove Crossover ratings, unless they are
full blown writeups and then it might be prudent to just remove the
evaluation and state that one exists (or should) on the Crossover site.
This should only be done if the program cannot be run under Wine or
takes extensive amounts of time and effort to do so.

Of course, this is my opinion.  We also have to give users the truth.
If a program is broken in Wine but runs just fine in Crossover, we
should at least tell them that this is so.  Maybe this will influence a
developer or two to figure out the problem and fix it.

James McKenzie