[Wine] The pros and cons of a wiki AppDB

Ben Klein shacklein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 04:56:06 CDT 2009

2009/3/8 IneedAname <wineappdb at googlemail.com>:
> On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 20:10:13 +0000
> David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yep. That's why a wiki is nice. If you open it up to everyone to
>> contribute, you'll get bad stuff but you'll get good stuff you just
>> wouldn't get otherwise. It's a great format to capture that.
> We would use the same system for edit rights that we use now.
> Make appDB account then ask to be a maintainer then you can edit the wiki page for that app.

Sorry, that sounds like too much effort for too little benefit to me.

> The wiki is only for application notes.
> Anyone can read the wiki history.

Notes, Warnings and HOWTOs?

> Pro:
> The only thing the wiki will do thats new is we will have a history on the maintainers notes.

Wiki is big, you're getting it to do a tiny task. It doesn't need to
be a wiki, as I mentioned before.

It is possible to get the style of history you are talking about
without resorting to a wiki, and it would be easier to implement
without a wiki.